RESULTS FROM THE RPS Gate City Gauntlet on 11/21/15:
Competed in the 132 weight class RIGHT at the cusp at 132.5 pounds.
3/3 on squats ending with 240 lbs -- lifetime PR
3/3 on bench press ending with 165 lbs -- paused, meet PR
2/3 on deadlifts ending with 280 lbs -- not a PR
(I did pull 300 and lock it out on my third attempt, but my foot stumbled, so it was of course red-lighted. But, hey, I joined the 300 club!)
I got 2nd place in my age/weight/raw division with a total of 685 lbs!
...but now that the excitement is over, what comes next?
I set new weight goals, which I actually did long before this meet:
S: 275 lbs
B: 185 lbs
D: 350 lbs
Total: 810 lbs
And again, long before the meet, I was already noticing my weaknesses:
2. Left leg
And, more recently, I've started thinking about some big changes I want to make to my lifts:
1. Reduced bench press arch, but maintaining scapular retraction
2. Wider, more even, and slightly turned out squat stance
So, after a couple days of rest -- my body is WRECKED -- I begin putting workouts in place that will target my weaknesses, drill the form changes I want to make, and help get me towards my goal of an 810 pound total as quickly and efficiently as possible! Here's the rough game plan:
1-3 weeks post-meet:
- No barbell moves! (this will be hard)
- Test leg strength to determine precise discrepancy
- Basic squat/bridge/plank/twist workouts to address weakest areas
- Hypertrophy focus
2-8 weeks post-meet:
Reduce weight to work on squat/bench.deadlift form
- BENCH PRESS; reduce arch, maintain strength
- SQUAT; adopt wider, more even stance, and continue working on weaker leg
- DEADLIFT; strengthen glutes/hamstrings to reduce hip rise, and continue drilling set up
6+ weeks post-meet:
- Start Stronglifts 5x5 for strength!
Goals with regards to weight/diet:
- Have at least one cardio day each week
- TRY to drop down to ~125 before eating to maintain
Because I NEVER want to be that miserably close to not making weight again.